Wednesday, October 3, 2007

My response to "In Search of . . . Something"

I think that Bass’s concept of education is something that a lot of kids believe in. When I was young I believed that when I finished college I would be able to find a job and start raking in the money, but since I have grown older my thoughts and ideas toward this matter have changed drastically. I know many people that have graduated from college and still don’t get paid a lot of money, I’m not saying that you should not go to college what I’m saying is that going to college does not guaranty that you will get your dream job or that you’ll get paid tons of money. Let me explain; I have traveled to the Philippines a couple of times in my life and have gone to quite a few schools. The people there love to learn, they will not pass any opportunity to be able to go to school. I got to know a few young adults that had just graduated from college all of then ready to go into the work force but there were no jobs open or even available for then to apply for. I know that it is not that bad here in America but still I can think of a few friends that are in the same predicament. There are also the people that go to college and then find the perfect job but still don’t get paid a lot for doing it. Like Bass says “I” or many people “want an education to get something, not to discover something”. Yes, my goals for after college are still to get a good job and to get paid well; but still, I’m not obsessed with making money I’m here to learn and to discover and to someday get the job that I really enjoy, not the one that I can make the most money in, but the one I can help make a difference in.

2 comments:

Jean Jones said...

Hey, I agree with your response and I do think that most young people always thought that education was the way to get the best paying job. Actually, it wasn't so long ago since I believed this and that if I didn't recieve the best education; I wouldn't be able to make a difference in the world. I soon found out that I was wrong.

Rebecca said...

That's awesome that you had the opportunities to go to the Phillipines! That's awesome!
But something I'd add to your response is that college isn't for everyone. Some people do really well in high school and bomb college, and others vice versa. However, there are those who have hopes and dreams that don't require college.