Tuesday, November 13, 2007

My response to " Is Hunting Ethical?"

My response to, Is Hunting Ethical?
The beginning of this essay starts with a very emotional story of dying fawn. The writer of this story Ann F. Causey is holding the fawn as it breaths its last breaths. They try their best to breathe life back into it but to no avail, after a few attempts at CPR and chest compressions the fawn finally dies. Then she asks the question, Is hunting ethical?
To me she takes the side in this essay of being for hunting. She clearly states that her husband is a hunter and they eat venison a lot. She defends hunters from people as she says that, “see all hunters as bloodthirsty, knuckle-dragging rednecks.” But I also think that she is more thought full of hunting and looks to the other side, the side that says that hunting is just not ok, and that we should not do it. She talks about how she knows a few hunters who do not have that deep reverence for nature and just kill for the fun of it. I personally feel that this is not the right thing to do. With the increase of people in the country I think that animals like the cougar and other top predators have moved out or have been hunted far to much, which have led to an up rise in dear and other small game. Even though I don’t think that hunting is really supper bad I still don’t really see the need of hunting. Many years ago when people were just coming to these parts of the country hunting was something that kept people alive. If people didn’t hunt for food they would most likely starve. I’m sure there are people that still hunt for their food at the table. But, for most there really is no need to hunt. I have always loved to target practice but personally I don’t think I could even shoot a squirrel. It’s just not in me to do it.


Writing Strategies

#2: Yes i think that she makes her purpose clear to the reader. She clearly say that she does not like the killing that is envovled in hunting but that she does not think that hunters are all killers looking for something to shoot.

#5: I think the only way she alienated me in this essay was by the short story she put at the front of her essay. it was very sad! but then i think about how if they did not hunt we would have tons of dear.

1 comment:

bonnie said...

I couldn't tell exactly her purpose here since she took both sides. Explain?